Villanova Theatre Logo

Thursday, October 20, 2011

October 19, 2011: WHAT A DAY!

Jessica/Scarecrow here...

Yesterday I had an incredible opportunity to meet with Patrick Mason from the Abbey Theatre in Ireland. He spent two hours with the cast of Woman and Scarecrow, our director, Father David, and our stage manager, Allie, about character, language, and motivation. We all had a chance to work on a scene with him and hear his insight on diving further into the situation and the text.

He helped me to realize that the text of our particular play is its strongest asset, and that the beautiful language in Woman and Scarecrow can help carry it through. My character is out of the ordinary, so this helped me to get a new perspective on her. He told us, in reference to our audience, that we should strive to, "Grab them tightly, and let them go lightly."

What is most amazing about the entire experience I'm afraid I'm unable to truly articulate. He somehow got right to the core of me and floored me. When he left the room I felt as though I was coming out of a trance; it was one of those times where you know that something astounding had just happened. A heartfelt thank you goes out to everyone who made it possible.

Jessica

No comments: